On November 19, 1995, 20 years ago changed my life forever. The day began in a unique way. It was a cool, brisk Sunday morning as I woke up in my dorm room at Moore Hill dormitory on the University of Texas at Austin campus. I went to breakfast at Jester cafeteria and came back to my room to get ready for church. My friend and mentor who was supposed to pick me up did not show up, so I went back to my room and started studying Ephesians 5:21-33 which is one of Paul’s writings related to family, marriage and the relationship between Christ and His church. It seemed that the words were jumping off the page and my mind was enlightened to fully understand what the passage was saying and how it applies to life. I was in a dating relationship but was not married and had no children but this passage was coming alive to me.
The day continued as normal, I went to lunch in Jester cafeteria and came back to the dorm room to watched the Dallas Cowboys and later played Madden 1994 on my Nintendo 64. That evening the church I was a member of hosted a Sunday night service and I attended. The Senior Pastor was out of town one of the Elders was preaching and his message was focused on getting to know God. After singing and preaching he encouraged us to go home that evening and spend time with God instead of watching TV or talking on the phone. I did and my life changed that night forever.
While worshiping in my dorm room listening to Fred Hammond’s InnerCourt CD, I began singing to God and later worshiping deeply. While worshiping I sensed the call of God on my life to preach but was sincerely afraid. I had watched my dad and brother accept the call and knew that it was not an easy call to live out. I knew that what people saw on Sunday morning or on television was not the entire picture to what it means to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. I had seen the sacrifices of time, money and frankly emotional safety that is often a part of ministry. So I continued to ask God if he would confirm the call. The next morning, my mom called me and without any introduction simply said, “The Lord called you to preach last night.” With that, I accepted the confirmed call and the next month preached my first official sermon at my father’s church during a Christmas Youth Revival my brother and I led.
Since that time, I have preached in cities and in the country, at churches and in retreat centers, on college campuses and boats on the lake. God has given me the privilege of being one his mouth pieces for 20 years. I have not done it perfectly but I have done it to the best of my ability. My heart has always been to honor God with my life and preach as an overflow of a life lived in submission and obedience to God. I often say, God led me to a relationship with him early because he wanted to use my whole life for him and my hope is that I am blessed to preach another 40 years and then some.
I want to thank my parents for creating an environment where I was able to accept Christ as my Savior and Leader and I want to thank my wife April for loving me and being my partner through the seasons of ministry transition and development.
I am inviting all who can to make an investment in our ministry in this season. The church is in a prime season for growth and my personal ministry continues to expand throughout Central Texas and the U.S. Any investment you can make in the following areas will make a huge difference:
- Prayer Partnership – Pray that I continue to live a life of integrity and honor God with my life and then my gifts.
- Financial Partnership – offering a monthly financial gift to sustain our ministry ($20, $50, $100, $250, $500, $1000 or more)
- Ministry Partnership – I would love to come serve your church, school, nonprofit or other organization through ministry offerings including (speaking, singing, comedy, coaching or strategic planning).
I want to thank all the pastors and leaders who have invested in my preaching ministry over the past 20 years:
- Abilene District Superintendent Eld. Samuel Tabor – Praise Temple C.O.G.I.C. Abilene, Texas
- Mother Carrie Tabor – Heaven by Way of Abilene, Texas
- Wichita District Superintendent Eld. Herman Hicks – Greater Pentecostal C.O.G.I.C. Wichita, Kansas
- Apostle Dr. Dana Carson, Founder Reflections of Christ Kingdom (R.O.C.K) – Houston, Texas
- Rodney Walker, CEO Grant Central, USA – Pasadena, California
- Pastor David Hanke, Restoration Arlington – Arlington, Virginia
- Pastor Brian Wallace, Fuller Seminary
- Pastor Alexander Gee, Fountain of Life Covenant Church – Madison, Wisconsin
- Pastor Gaylon Clark – Greater Mt. Zion Baptist Church – Austin, Texas
- Pastor Kevin White – Greater Mt. Zion Baptist Church – Austin, Texas
- Pastor Sherwynn Patton – Life Anew – Austin, Texas
- Pastor Sean Watkins – InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Full Life Community Church – Austin, Texas
- Pastor Michelle Verrill – InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Full Life Community Church
- Pastor Patty Pell – InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
- Pastor Cliff Warner – Christ Church – Austin, Texas
- Pastor Josef Rasheed – CrossRoads Covenant Church – DeSoto, Texas
- Pastor Brett Coe – First Christian Church – Kerrville, Texas
- Pastor Terrell Fletcher – City of Hope International at Faith Chapel – San Diego, California
- Pastor DeChard Freeman – Abundant Life Community Baptist Church – Pflugerville, Texas
- Pastor Carlton Smith – Antioch Fellowship – Cleveland, Ohio
- Innervisions Gospel Choir where I served as chaplain and president from 1996-2000
- Gamma Phi Delta Christian Fraternity, Inc 1996-2000
- Texas Gospel Fellowship – UT Austin 2001-2005
- Greater Mt. Zion Baptist Church – Austin, Texas 2003 – 2009
- Full Life Community Church 2011-Present